Re: [core] Do we need a CORE charter item for CoAP support of Sleepy Nodes?

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Mon, 05 August 2013 06:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:35:20 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: core@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core] Do we need a CORE charter item for CoAP support of Sleepy Nodes?

In contrast to the earlier mails I am personally not convinced we should
do (much) work on sleepy nodes.
In the simplest level 3 communication case, a sleepy node needs
intialization of operational parameters, is switched on, and sends
regularly data to an IP address.
More specifically, the IP address can be an MPL multicast address.
Anything more complex needs to be done with a proxy.
In my opinion SDOs like OMA, ZigBee, or BACnet, etc. have very different
opinions on what such a proxy should do and how to communicate between
the sleepy node an the proxy. They are best positioned to define the
proxy in the context of their organization.

In the limit, at IETF, we just need to define a MIB for the
initialization of the sleepy node.
If we want to do more, I think the draft by Matthieu Vial covers the
case quite adequately.

Peter van der Stok