[core] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-stateless-06: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 20 April 2020 11:51 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-core-stateless@ietf.org, core-chairs@ietf.org, core@ietf.org, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, cabo@tzi.org
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 04:51:40 -0700
Subject: [core] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-stateless-06: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-stateless-06: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-stateless/

COMMENT:

Thanks for this document.  I found the document easy to read and the concept
described easy to understand.

A few minor comments:

2.1 Extended Token Length (TKL) Field

      13:  An 8-bit unsigned integer precedes the Token field and
         indicates the length of the Token field minus 13.

      14:  A 16-bit unsigned integer in network byte order precedes the
         Token field and indicates the length of the Token field minus
         269.

I wonder whether it would be worth changing "precedes" to "directly precedes"
to avoid any doubt of exactly where the length field appears?  Although I note
that the updated message formats are in the appendix anyway.

2.2.1.  Extended-Token-Length Capability Option

 The draft doesn't suggest whether the Extended-Token-Length capability option
 should be used when the server only supports a max-length of 8.  Would it be
 useful to give a recommendation for servers in this case, e.g.  SHOULD they
 only include the capability if they support a max token length larger than 8
 bytes?

3.  Stateless Clients

   As servers are just expected to return any token verbatim to the
   client, this implementation strategy for clients does impact the
   interoperability of client and server implementations.  However,
   there are a number of significant, non-obvious implications (e.g.,
   related to security and other CoAP protocol features) that client
   implementations need take into consideration.

I found the first sentence somewhat unclear - in that I was wondering if "does
not impact" was intended instead of "does impact"?  Or otherwise, I wasn't
quite sure what this sentence was trying to convey.