Re: [core] draft-ietf-core-multipart-ct

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Sat, 16 February 2019 18:25 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Klaus Hartke' <hartke@projectcool.de>
CC: draft-ietf-core-multipart-ct@ietf.org, core@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:25:06 -0800
Subject: Re: [core] draft-ietf-core-multipart-ct

Looking at this, it does seem to be a strange way to deal with things.  Of course the problem is made even more of a pain if you think about the possibility of having nested multipart contents.

While the following does may not be the greatest solution, I think that it might be a better answer:

1.  Define a new target attribute:  "mt-subtypes" which contains the list of any content type which can be returned in a multipart content.  This could be at the top level or anyplace in a tree.

2.  Define a new option: "mt-accept" which contains the list of sub-content types that the client can deal with.  This option would be defined as advisory on the part of the server, that is it can return content types which are not in the list, but where options exist in the possible returned content tree the requested types, in order, SHOULD be the ones chosen by the server.   I would propose the option be "Non-Critical, Safe, CacheKey, Repeatable".

I am not sure if I believe that the new option is part of the cache key or not.  I can see arguments on both sides, but I think I come down to yes.

Carsten,   I think that this issue (but maybe not this solution) needs to be put onto the agenda for the interim meeting next Wed.

Jim