Re: [core] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-06: (with COMMENT)

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Thu, 17 October 2019 10:10 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:10:27 +0200
Cc: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-core-hop-limit@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-core-hop-limit@ietf.org>, Jaime Jimenez <jaime@iki.fi>, "core-chairs@ietf.org" <core-chairs@ietf.org>, "core@ietf.org" <core@ietf.org>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Subject: Re: [core] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-06: (with COMMENT)

(Background:)

I seem to remember that for a short time during the development of OSCORE we thought about defining an HTTP header field “CoAP-Option” (not sure that was the actual name) that can be used for tunneling any kind of CoAP Options through HTTP segments of a proxy path.
I forget why we eventually decided we didn’t need this, but the idea of course can be revived; CoAP’s option types are stylized enough that this can be made to work in general.
I wouldn’t necessarily put this into this draft; an update of RFC 8075 might be a good receptacle.

Grüße, Carsten