Re: [core] PubSub - Questions round 1

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 20 March 2018 08:13 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Ari Keränen' <ari.keranen@ericsson.com>
CC: 'core' <core@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-core-coap-pubsub@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 08:12:51 +0000
Subject: Re: [core] PubSub - Questions round 1

However,
> this includes the "main topics" created with CREATE interface. Perhaps the
> sub-topics under a main topic could be hidden from the root discovery
since
> they can be discovered from the main topic.
>
> But would be great to hear more opinions on this.

No, that is not what I asked.  If I do a create of the topic

/PubSub/Hidden/MyTopic

Hidden has not yet be created as a topic so it will be implicitly created.
When I do the GET, I expect that MyTopic would be visible as part of the
link list but I am not clear that Hidden would be returned in the link list
because nobody explicitly created it.

> > 2.  I would appreciate a discussion for section 5 (resource directory)
> > on what the trade-offs for publishing items into a resource directory?
> > What sets of nodes does it make sense to publish vs not publish -
> > topics of discussion would include intermediate nodes and max-age for
> > nodes that might disappear quickly.
>
> I think lots of this is going to be implementation dependent. We could
> perhaps discuss the benefits of sub-topics: that you can expose only the
> main topic(s), let client discover sub-topics if needed, and this way save
> bandwidth on discovery is there are lots of sub-topics under different
main
> topics. I'll make a PR out of this.
>
> > 3.  When doing discovery, I am not sure if you examples are correct.
> > My understanding is that since a URI path is being returned as part of
> > the link format rather than a full path, the client is supposed to
interpret
> this
> > value using the GET path as the context of the path.   This would be
rule c
> > of section 2.1 of RFC6690.  This rule seems to have been modified for
> > the /.well-known/core to say only use the scheme + authority and
> > ignore the path to the resource.  However, I do not believe that this
> > rule is suspended in this case.  This means that the return value for
figure 4
> would be
> > "</currentTemp>;rt=temperature;ct=50".   Do you believe that I am
> wrong?
>
> I think you're correct here. But I wonder how can we generate then topics
> outside of the ps -- or if we want to do that. Let's discuss tomorrow.

Christian, please verify this for me.

Jim