[core] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-dev-urn-10: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 18 January 2021 16:26 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-core-dev-urn@ietf.org, core-chairs@ietf.org, core@ietf.org, Marco Tiloca <marco.tiloca@ri.se>, marco.tiloca@ri.se, housley@vigilsec.com, dthaler@microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 08:26:20 -0800
Subject: [core] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-dev-urn-10: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-dev-urn-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-dev-urn/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document. I just wonder why this document
is the work of CORE as it is quite generic and could be used outside of CORE
(but, this is not a problem at all as it is an IETF stream document and had an
IETF last call).

There have been two IoT directorate reviews by:
- Dave Thaler
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-core-dev-urn-09-iotdir-telechat-thaler-2021-01-07/
- Russ Housley:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-core-dev-urn-09-iotdir-telechat-housley-2021-01-06/
both reviews have a status of 'Almost Ready' that translates into authors
SHOULD really address the comments (and I have seen already many email messages
on those reviews).

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated), and one nit.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 4.1 --
Should "FFFF" be replaced by "0xffff" especially as there is some text before
(section 3.2.1) suggesting to use lowercase of MAC addresses ?

More important: can MAC address be part of an identifier in the world of random
MAC address (or on the spot generated MAC address -- think VM) ? I suggest to
add some text around MAC address randomization impact.

== NITS ==

-- Section 4.2 --
s/64 bit identifier/64-bit identifier/ ?