Re: [core] [Dots] Large asynchronous notifications under DDoS: New BLOCK Option?

Jon Shallow <supjps-ietf@jpshallow.com> Tue, 07 April 2020 17:58 UTC

From: Jon Shallow <supjps-ietf@jpshallow.com>
To: 'Achim Kraus' <achimkraus@gmx.net>, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, core@ietf.org, dots@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 18:56:21 +0100
Subject: Re: [core] [Dots] Large asynchronous notifications under DDoS: New BLOCK Option?

Hi Achim,

To add to Med's inline comments, the use case that we are trying to solve is
as follows.

We are trying to send telemetry information from a server to a unicast
client which has the potential to exceed the size of IP packet (possibly
multiple times too large).

The environment that this telemetry information is going to be transmitted
in will be where Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are taking
place and so there is a high chance that network pipes will be running at or
near capacity and hence there is likely to be high packet loss.  It is
likely that the direction of the telemetry data is the same as that of the
packet loss.

This telemetry is an additional tool for passing information about how
mitigations of these DDoS attacks are being effective so that decisions can
be taken as to how better to mitigate the DDoS situation.  This is making
use of the DDoS Open Threat Signaling protocol (DOTS) described in RFC8612
with other drafts for components of this protocol in the final stages of
becoming RFCs ( https://tools.ietf.org/wg/dots/ ).

While not desirable, it is acceptable if the client is unable to receive the
telemetry data (out of band mechanisms such as phone calls can be used in
slow time if needed for tuning against attacks) but we would like to
maximize the possibility of the telemetry data getting through.

Currently with other data and small amounts of telemetry, the GET response
or Observe data can safely be sent off from the server and the client may or
may not get it as we are using NON-confirmable.  PUT (which has small
amounts of data) and DELETE are also sent as NON-confirmable - and the
client handles things if there is not seen a 2.XX etc. response to the
PUT/DELETE.

This issue is when the data is too large to fit into a single packet - we
currently use the CoAP BLOCK2 option which works fine under normal traffic
conditions, but relies on the client synchronously requesting the next block
of data.  We currently are doing this as NON-confirmable so a loss of a
block of data causes the transfer to stall with the need to do garbage
collection at a later point in time ion the server.  Using CONfirmable
causes everything to slow right down with the lossy network and prevents the
next CON transmission for a long time as NSTART is 1.

The data is CBOR based on YANG with the YANG parameters two-way mapped into
integers to give as much CBOR data reduction as possible, so cannot save any
space there.  It is theoretically possible to reduce the amount of telemetry
data by only asking for subsets of information as Med has referred to in
this email trail.

It is possible to solve the issue using IP fragmentation and let the client
re-assemble everything, but this is not ideal in a lossy network and there
is no way to ask for a particular IP fragment to be re-transmitted.

If there was a new CoAP option - let's call it NONBLOCK2, which the server
uses to send the all the data packets without waiting for the GET request of
the next block (only difference compared with BLOCK2).  If the client does
not see all the blocks after a timeout, it can then request the missing
blocks by using one or more of the NONBLOCK2 options in a new GET request -
or just wait until the next GET / Observe response.  This may be a way to
move forward if we cannot solve the issue in another way.

Regards

Jon

mohamed.boucadair@orange.com