Re: [core] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-06: (with COMMENT)

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Fri, 11 October 2019 07:59 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Éric Vyncke <evyncke@cisco.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-core-hop-limit@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-core-hop-limit@ietf.org>, Jaime Jimenez <jaime@iki.fi>, "core-chairs@ietf.org" <core-chairs@ietf.org>, "core@ietf.org" <core@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 07:58:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.245]
Subject: Re: [core] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-hop-limit-06: (with COMMENT)

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] This is warranted in the next sentence: "This modification should be done with caution in case proxy-forwarded traffic repeatedly crosses the administrative domain boundary in a loop and so Hop-Limit detection gets broken."

Basically, the decision will be deployment-specific. E.g., if the boundary proxy is the only proxy to be invoked before reaching the ultimate CoAP endpoint, striping the option may be OK.

> C.2) table 1, suggest to state the value of the C, U, N, R properties

[Med] The option is elective, safe-to-forward, part of the cache, and not repeatable. So, none of C, U, N, R is marked with "x" in the table.

> -- Section 4 --
> C.3) while I understand why a proxy should not add its own diagnostic
> information when packet should become larger than the MTU of the next link,
> wonder what will happen downstream when the MTU will be exceeded...

[Med] The behavior of the proxy will take into account the "Path" MTU not the link MTU:

   Note that an
   intermediate proxy prepends its information only if there is enough
   space as determined by the Path MTU (Section 4.6 of [RFC7252]).
                              ^^^^^^^^

With that assumption, I don't see any MTU issue when forwarding the packet downstream. No?

> C.4) suggest to use normative language (uppercase MAY, MUST, ...)

[Med] We used to have more normative language in that section but cleaned it as a result of this WGLC comment:

========
> > 3. "To ease debugging and troubleshooting, the CoAP proxy which
> > detects a loop SHOULD include its information ... Each intermediate
> > proxy involved in relaying a TBA1 (Hop Limit Reached) error message
> > SHOULD prepend its own information" - Is it really a protocol
> > violation if I want to configure my proxy not to include any
> > information?
> >

> [Med] It is not a protocol violation if the information is not included - hence the SHOULD. However it makes diagnosing the issue more difficult.

We briefly discussed this in the interim yesterday and came to the
conclusion that having a normative requirement here isn't needed. It
seems more like a suggestion for a good quality of implementation. I
propose to remove any use of KEYWORDs here.

> == NITS ==
>
> -- Section 3 --
> N.1) s/if a less value/if a smaller value/ ?

[Med] Fixed. Thank you.