[core] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs-05: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 23 October 2018 22:07 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs@ietf.org, Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, core-chairs@ietf.org, cabo@tzi.org, core@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 15:07:42 -0700
Subject: [core] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs-05: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs/

COMMENT:

Hi, thanks for the work on this. I have a few comments, below:

I share Adam's concern about overloading Max-Age for this purpose. If anything,
the use in this document is specifying a minimum time interval, not a maximum
one. That is, this use not only overloads Max-Age, but does it in a
counter-intuitive way. Is there a reason not to define a new option?

§4: "A client MUST NOT rely on a server being able to send the 4.29
Response Code in an overload situation because an overloaded server
may not be able to reply at all to some requests."

Can you elaborate on the practical effect of that MUST NOT?