Re: [core] CoRE Pub/Sub proposal to resolve the one remaining major issue

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 23 July 2019 12:42 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Michael Koster' <michael.koster=40smartthings.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
CC: 'core' <core@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 08:41:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [core] CoRE Pub/Sub proposal to resolve the one remaining major issue

Ok - Another item

One of the really nice features that the old system had was the ability to
have a hierarchy of topics.  I think that we may want to change the proposal
so that items are created in a tree and not have random names assigned to
the topic description node.  This would allow for a CoRAL navigation of
topics to occur with child nodes being advertised.

This is nice not only for the navigation abilities, but even more because it
eases the settings of security on topics for creation and assignment of
various topics.  This would allow for both specifications of "Create is
allowed for topic /foo/*" and also allow for some security settings to be
propagated down a tree - such as "The ACE group identifier for this node and
all child nodes to be BLAH".  I don't know if inheritance of attributes is a
generally desirable feature but it seems reasonable to me.

Jim