[COSE] Review draft-ietf-cose-webauthn-algorithms-02.txt

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 29 October 2019 19:39 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: cose@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 12:39:27 -0700
Subject: [COSE] Review draft-ietf-cose-webauthn-algorithms-02.txt

1.  The document needs to have a short title added to it.

2. Abstract - The text "FIDO Alliance FIDO2 Client to Authenticator
Protocol" needs to get cleaned up.  It is not clear to me if FIDO2 is
supposed to be an abbreviation of the previous FIDO Alliance or not.  Flip
the sentence to use from or insert specification earlier.

3.  Section 1 - I am not sure why you are using the term "related" rather
than "the" in this section.  This seems to be different than the abstract in
that feature.  Relate makes me think that it is something that is different
but similar in this case.

4.  While I guess it is reasonable to have the description of why things are
not recommended in the security considerations, I myself would not really
think of them as such.  However not having a pointer from section 2 to that
information seems harsh as we are saying the are not recommended without
have a pointer to the discussion.

5.  I have problems with the following text: "Implementation of this
algorithm is RECOMMENDED because of its widespread use in decentralized
systems and those that chose it over the NIST curves."  Firstly, this is an
incorrect use of the RFC 2119 language, this is not a protocol statement.
Secondly, this is not what the recommended column in table 2 means and thus
is trying to overload that column with something that is not real.  Third,
the fact that people chose this over the NIST curves is not necessarily a
reason for the IETF to recommended it's implementation.

6.  I still want to see in the text the reasoning behind not just using the
current ECDSA algorithm in COSE.

7.  Add text on checking point is on the curve to section 5.4