Re: [COSE] [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs-03.txt> (CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE): Hash Algorithms) to Informational RFC

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 28 May 2020 21:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 14:14:50 -0700
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: tom petch <daedulus@btconnect.com>
Cc: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, 'Last Call' <last-call@ietf.org>, "cose-chairs@ietf.org" <cose-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs@ietf.org>, "cose@ietf.org" <cose@ietf.org>, "ivaylo@ackl.io" <ivaylo@ackl.io>
Subject: Re: [COSE] [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs-03.txt> (CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE): Hash Algorithms) to Informational RFC

The nested quoting is pretty hard to read; hopefully I am responding in the
right places...

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:30:18AM +0100, tom petch wrote:
> Jim
> inline <tp> several times

I do think it's pretty common to have the document say something about
"makes permanent the early allocation of value NNN for <X>".

> The I-D adds the value 'filter only' to one of the columns.  The registry
> was set up by RFC8152 which lists permitted values of which this is not one.
> This then constitutes an update to RFC8152 which the I-D does not mention.
> [JLS] I would disagree that this requires an update of RFC 8152 for two
> reasons.  First this is not a change in the COSE protocol in any manner and
> thus would violate what I consider to be the letter of the law for updates.
> Second, when this change is made RFC 8152 will have been obsoleted by a new
> RFC and thus it does not really make sense to update it.  This is an IANA
> instruction not a protocol change.
>
> <tp> I agree that the protocol does not change but the rules set out by RFC8152 for the IANA Registry do change and that IMHO is an update to RFC8152, one that rfc8152bis-algs does not include,

The registry is an entity in its own right, and there is a "Reference" field
associated with the registry that accepts multi-value input.  Updating the
registry is generally orthogonal to updating the document that created the
registry initially.

-Ben