Re: [COSE] Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs-04: (with COMMENT)

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 02 June 2020 17:59 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Warren Kumari' <warren@kumari.net>, 'Barry Leiba' <barryleiba@computer.org>
CC: 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, 'Ivaylo Petrov' <ivaylo@ackl.io>, cose-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs@ietf.org, cose@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 10:58:54 -0700
Subject: Re: [COSE] Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs-04: (with COMMENT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 6:52 AM
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>; The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>; Ivaylo Petrov <ivaylo@ackl.io>; cose-chairs@ietf.org; draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs@ietf.org; cose@ietf.org

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 4:15 PM Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org> wrote:

> Put another way, I think that Warren is asking if a bad actor can
> trick you into downloading something anyway, and only after to wasted
> the download will you find out that you shouldn't have bothered.

Nah, not quite -- "Doing indirect signing allows for a signature to be validated without first downloading all of the content associated with the signature.  This capability can be of  even greater importance in a constrained environment as not all of  the content signed may be needed by the device."

Sorry, I'm still not getting it

I can see a signature over something like a manifest, listing all of the "things" (firmware blocks, files, whatever). I can download this, and validate the signature, and know that the manifest came from the e.g device manufacturer. I can then look through and find the thing (let's pretend it's a URL to a firmware update), go fetch that, hash it and then check that the "Hash of the bytes of the update" match what was in the manifest.
But, in both of these cases, I have to download the entire thing that is signed or hashed (first the manifest, and all of the bytes of the update *for my device type*).

In another example, if this were a book, if I only cared about the chapter about doughnuts, I would check the index (and signature over the index), and then go hash the chapter that the index points to, and make sure that it matches -- but, I've still had to a: check the signature on the index (which requires the entire index) and b: hash the entire doughnuts chapter (which means I need the entire doughnuts chapter). Yes, I don't need to hash the chapter on macarons or Mille feuilles, but I'm still having to download / hash the content associated with the signature...

Or, is this just saying that the index contains hashes for the individual blocks (chapters), and so I just need to download the entire index and check the signature, and then the block(s) that I care about (and that the hashes match what is in the index)?

[JLS] This is the case, all we have is an index that contains the hashes of the individual blocks.  You only need to download what you care about.  Thus you don't need to download the chapter on macarons, even though you have the pointer and hash of that data.  If you later become interested in macarons you can down load that chapter and check that it has the correct hash.

Jim

I'm really not trying to be difficult, I'm just confused...

--
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of pants.