[COSE] Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs-04: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 01 June 2020 13:25 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs@ietf.org, cose-chairs@ietf.org, cose@ietf.org, Ivaylo Petrov <ivaylo@ackl.io>, ivaylo@ackl.io
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 06:25:50 -0700
Subject: [COSE] Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs-04: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs-04: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cose-hash-algs/

COMMENT:

Thank you for writing this - it was an interesting read.

I do have one issue, which I cannot tell if it is simply me being dumb, or if
the text needs more work.

“ Doing indirect signing allows for a signature to be validated without first
downloading all of the  content associated with the signature.  This capability
can be of   even greater importance in a constrained environment as not all of
 the content signed may be needed by the device.”

I’m unclear how this works —  itseems clear enough that I can verify that the
signature matches the hash, but doesn’t the device need to still download and
compute the hash over all of the content?

Otherwise I could take a hash and signature from content A, and claim that it
is for content B. Sure, if the signature **doens’t** match the hash I know not
to bother downloading the content at all, but if the sig does match the hash I
still need to download the content to check that the hash is for this
content....

Please help educate me!

Nit: “ A pointer to the value that was hashed.  this could” — s/this/This/