Re: Require guidance on Unicode in IETF formats

Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> Wed, 21 March 2007 10:28 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:27:55 +0100
Cc: cosmogol@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Require guidance on Unicode in IETF formats

    >> Given that ASCII and Latin-1 is a proper subset of Unicode, I
    >> don't understand how permitting Unicode makes tools for writing
    >> SMDL harder.

    Stephane> Because Unicode is a superset of ASCII. So, if you develop
    Stephane> with ASCII-only tools, they may not be able to process all
    Stephane> Cosmogol files, only those written in pure ASCII.

  No.

  If I develop with ASCII-only *WRITING* tools, then I can't type
Unicode, so I can always process my own files.

  Of course, the *PROCESSING* tools need to be unicode. That's not the
same as saying that my Emacs needs to unicode.

    >> For me, I'm thinking that this is mostly text editors, and some
    >> gui tools that would mostly *export* a SMDL.  i.e. that we work
    >> mostly in latex-style.

    Stephane> No, the typical Cosmogol tools are not editors (Cosmogol
    Stephane> is, by design, a text-based language, so you can use any
    Stephane> editor), they are checkers, translators, etc. Same as with
    Stephane> ABNF.

  Cosmogol WRITING tools are EDITORS.
  Cosmogol PROCESSING tools are checkers,translators,etc.

    >> Is that really that much harder?

    Stephane> I suggested that people post here "implementation reports"
    Stephane> of parsers for Unicode-based language, together with code
    Stephane> examples. So far, we received mostly "It should work"
    Stephane> reports :-)

    >> Was it simply the "case-insensitive" nature of things that threw
    >> a wrench in things?

    Stephane> Cosmogol is case-sensitive.

  So, we don't have to worry about f vs the 6 different f's that
can be used to write Patrik Falstrom's nane.

- --
]            Bear: "Me, I'm just the shape of a bear."          |  firewalls  [
] mcr@xelerance.com      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[