Re: Require guidance on Unicode in IETF formats

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Wed, 10 January 2007 21:36 UTC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:25:09 -0800
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Cc: "Ted Hardie - App. Area Director" <hardie@qualcomm.com>, cosmogol@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Require guidance on Unicode in IETF formats

I am not sure I have any special wisdom or can point to any policy
requirements on this one.   Our requirements for IETF standards to be
i18n usually focus on what gets shown to the application user, and
less importantly the administrative user, and not what the protocol
implementor or debugger (or log file or wire trace) sees.  Thus error
messages need not be Unicode and need not be translated, as long as
it's reasonable that a client implementation could look up an ASCII
error message or the associated code and figure out what to display
in the user's language.  Method names and header/parameter names in
protocols can definitely be ASCII, and not translated.

So who's the *user* of a State Machine Description Language (SMDL)?
If I can use a SMDL to describe a bunch of states for a protocol that
is properly i18n for the final end-user of the *protocol*, that seems
like the minimum that we can base on general IETF policy
requirements.  If there are further requirements, such as comments
being i18n, those are community requirements rather than direct
consequence of IETF/IESG policy.

I will point out since it was brought up earlier, that ABNF is
expressed in ASCII but it *can* specify protocol syntax in UTF8 or
another encoding.    Do we need ABNF to be able to declare rule names
with non-ASCII characters, or to allow non-ASCII characters in
comments?  Would we bother rewriting ABNF to make that possible?

Specific use cases may be helpful here. One use case could be "A
German speaker communicating with German-speaking coworkers about
their code-base needs to be able to name a state something like
'Exclusiv Verändert' ". If everybody agrees to support that use case
then the SMDL needs to be able to support non-ASCII (or at least
obviously encoded) state names.   Alternatively the consensus could
be that use case isn't necessary, either because in practice
programmers use state machines and they're used to ASCII labels, or
because of a decision to limit the scope of the SMDL to IETF RFCs
where labels are even more consistently in English.

Lisa