Re: Require guidance on Unicode in IETF formats

"Clive D.W. Feather" <clive@demon.net> Thu, 11 January 2007 15:17 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:12:32 +0000
From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive@demon.net>
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: "Ted Hardie - App. Area Director" <hardie@qualcomm.com>, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>, cosmogol@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Require guidance on Unicode in IETF formats

Lisa Dusseault said:
> I will point out since it was brought up earlier, that ABNF is
> expressed in ASCII but it *can* specify protocol syntax in UTF8 or
> another encoding.    Do we need ABNF to be able to declare rule names
> with non-ASCII characters, or to allow non-ASCII characters in
> comments?  Would we bother rewriting ABNF to make that possible?
>
> Specific use cases may be helpful here. One use case could be "A
> German speaker communicating with German-speaking coworkers about
> their code-base needs to be able to name a state something like
> 'Exclusiv Verändert' ". If everybody agrees to support that use case
> then the SMDL needs to be able to support non-ASCII (or at least
> obviously encoded) state names.   Alternatively the consensus could
> be that use case isn't necessary, either because in practice
> programmers use state machines and they're used to ASCII labels, or
> because of a decision to limit the scope of the SMDL to IETF RFCs
> where labels are even more consistently in English.

My interpretation of this is "it's up to us".

I can see two use cases that are of interest in this context. The first is
Lisa's one: should a German speaker be able to name a state or an action
something in German? If "yes", then we need at least native UTF-8. If "no",
then we can stick with ASCII.

The second one is dependent on the first: if our hypothetical German has
written a state machine in German, does she need to be able to transform
its description into ASCII, transmit it to someone else, and have him
reconstruct the original? [1] Or can we assume that she has an 8-bit clean
emailer to send it?

My personal vote: the first use case should be addressed, the second is one
we can ignore.

[1] This was the use case for ISO C that led to trigraphs, for those who
know what they are. And no, I am *not* suggesting them.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive@demon.net>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive@davros.org>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937