Authority name (was: [Crisp] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-crisp-iris-xpc-04.txt)

"Robert Martin-Legene" <rlegene@gmail.com> Tue, 25 July 2006 11:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:39:32 +0200
From: Robert Martin-Legene <rlegene@gmail.com>
To: crisp@ietf.org
Subject: Authority name (was: [Crisp] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-crisp-iris-xpc-04.txt)

Dear all.

I have been having some troubles with the authority that the client
has to specify in queries in XPC.

The XPC spec says that first you connect and the server will greet you
with a connection response block (CRB). Subsequently the client will
sent a request block RQB. The format of the RQB is:

<1-octet auth-len><auth-len-octets authority><xml>

with the idea being that the client must specify against which
authority he will be doing a query. But how does the client know this
authority name?

If I as a TLD registry puts in the relevant _iris-xpc._tcp.dk (or
whatever) record, it is not sufficient information for the client to
know that the authority of the .dk TLD is actually dk-hostmaster.dk.
Especially not if I chose to make the naptr/srv point to xpc.nic.dk
which might be the scenario. So how can the client deduce this
authority name?

And why is it there anyway?

Clues?

-- Robert Martin-Legène, .dk