[Crisp] Questions re current status of IRIS schemas and IRIS clients and servers

"Carl Taswell" <ctaswell@telegenetics.net> Tue, 22 January 2008 18:34 UTC

From: Carl Taswell <ctaswell@telegenetics.net>
To: crisp@ietf.org, iris@lists.verisignlabs.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:34:51 -0800
Cc: 'David Blacka' <davidb@verisign.com>, andy@hxr.us
Subject: [Crisp] Questions re current status of IRIS schemas and IRIS clients and servers

I'm beginning implementation work on a project originally designed to be
built using IRIS. But I understand from David Blacka at Verisign that the
IRIS client server prototypes implemented and hosted at Verisign Labs are no
longer supported. I am left wondering whether there are any active projects
currently underway for development of IRIS clients and servers, either open
source, academic university, or commercial at any organization.

I would appreciate hearing word from anybody about currently supported
active projects of any kind for the implementation of IRIS clients and
servers. Also, I would like to know if anybody has written a Microsoft WCF
binding for any of the IRIS transport protocols so that they can be accessed
in software development projects using Microsoft Visual Studio?

Finally, I have a number of questions regarding the IRIS *.xsd schemas
themselves of which the two most important are:

1) dreg.xsd refers to dreg2 but I am unclear about the status of dreg2
because I know that at one time it was a draft, but it does not appear to
have progressed to an RFC. Could somebody please clarify any plans for
dreg2?

2) There appears to be a fair amount of code common to more than one schema
such as the code concerning contacts in both areg.xsd and dreg.xsd. Was
there an explicit reason for this structure? Has there been any discussion
of refactoring the code to improve modularity so that the various registry
types (areg, dreg, etc) refer to the same separate schema that concerns
items such as contacts that are common to all the different registry types?

Thanks much for any information,

CT

Carl Taswell
Cel: 916-616-4939