Re: [Crisp] Questions re adoption and future of IRIS protocol and IRIS dependent services

Sven-Holger Wabnitz <wabnitz@digital-security.com> Tue, 29 January 2008 15:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:47:08 +0100
From: Sven-Holger Wabnitz <wabnitz@digital-security.com>
To: ctaswell@telegenetics.net
Subject: Re: [Crisp] Questions re adoption and future of IRIS protocol and IRIS dependent services
Cc: crisp@ietf.org

Carl,

Carl Taswell schrieb:
> Implementation of DCHK-type service implies use of IRIS Core (RFC 3981) and
> DREG (RFC 3982). Also, Sven-Holger Wabnitz reports that DomiNIC plans to
> offer IRIS service, but apparently, there is not yet any public announcement
> at their web site at
>
> http://www.dominic.de/
>
> since a search there returned no results, and standards implemented in the
> product description do not yet mention any of the IRIS protocols (unless I
> missed something).
>
> GENERAL QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) For those of you who have been active in the CRISP Working Group, do you
> remain optimistic, pessimistic, or neutral about the future of the IRIS
> protocol and services?

In general there is an optimistic future for IRIS because of the
problem of parsing hundreds of different whois formats. However,
every country has its own privacy protection rules so there might
be some issues that need to be considered.

> 2) For those of you who are active at registrars, do you expect the rate of
> adoption of the IRIS-dependent services to accelerate or continue at the
> current pace?
>
> SPECIFIC QUESTIONS:
>
> 3) Marcos and Sven-Holger, could you please make more explicit the complete
> list of IRIS related RFC standards that your companies will be supporting
> with products or services?

We do not offer a service we offer an independent software
product. So we claim the top position in terms of technology.
That's our philosophy with the product DomiNIC. The fact that we
want to support the interfaces of the major registries and
registrars with the product indicates that we will support each
IRIS standard in future.
We discuss also a version for registries with DomiNIC and an open
source library which we will also use.

Best regards
Sven-Holger