Re: [Crisp] Questions re adoption and future of IRIS protocol and IRIS dependent services

Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us> Fri, 25 January 2008 01:34 UTC

From: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
To: ctaswell@telegenetics.net
Subject: Re: [Crisp] Questions re adoption and future of IRIS protocol and IRIS dependent services
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:34:38 -0500
Cc: crisp@ietf.org, iris@lists.verisignlabs.com

On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Carl Taswell wrote:

> 1) For those of you who have been active in the CRISP Working Group,
> do you
> remain optimistic, pessimistic, or neutral about the future of the
> IRIS
> protocol and services?

DeNIC is a large enough player that it could change the game.  Perhaps
that might do the trick.  Heck, I'd query their servers just because
Marcos is such a nice guy. :)

As coincidence might have it, I was just forwarded a message about
somebody proposing the use of IRIS for some NGN related purpose.

> 4) Andy Newton explains that the lack of code modularity for common
> content
> such as contacts was purposeful in order to prevent dependence of
> different
> developments and thereby delays. While I understand the rationale in
> the
> past, I also see the need for revisions in the future. Yet April
> Marine
> reports that the Working Group will conclude its work with DCHK. So
> how will
> any necessary revisions be pursued? From my perspective with my goal
> of
> building new and different registry types as extensions of the
> existing
> foundation of IRIS protocol and services, it does NOT make sense for
> all of
> the registry types to each have individual and separate declarations
> for
> contacts because it risks loss of interoperability for exchange of
> contact
> information. Presumably interoperability is a major goal of any
> standards
> effort. So how can revisions with a re-factoring of the contact
> information
> into a separate module be pursued if the Working Group is
> terminating its
> work? Is it necessary to create a new Working Group? Or can the
> current
> Working Group be continued?

The IETF doesn't need working groups to progress standards.  Future
registries could be moved through the IETF as individual submissions.
LDAP is a fine example of that.

-andy