Re: [Crisp] Last Minute Last Call Comments on lwz-06

Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us> Mon, 28 August 2006 17:52 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:52:46 -0400
From: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
To: Marcos Sanz/Denic <sanz@denic.de>
Subject: Re: [Crisp] Last Minute Last Call Comments on lwz-06
Cc: crisp@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org

Marcos Sanz/Denic wrote:
> There were some comments during Last Call on the draft in the general list
> and my guess is that maybe Andy is going to do a new version with some
> additional text in the security/MTU/congestion/retry issues.

I was originally thinking about RFC Editor notes, but with the addition of
this list, that might be too much.

> *Section 3.1.2, 1st bullet: How realistic is that the transaction ID in
> the request could not be read due to truncation? The transaction ID
> occupies the bits in the positions 73rd to 88th!

Highly unlikely, but odds things happen and this is a well described
explanation of what to do when this particular odd thing happens.

> *Section 3.1.3: "The bits of the payload header are ordered..." I think
> this sentence is redundant, because terminology has been already
> introduced extensively in section 2.

Yeah, but we kept discussing this on the list over and over again that I
felt it was necessary to drive the point home.

> *Section 3.1.5: "...and use the <versions> element as the root element."
> That's true except for "vi" queries.

Hmmm... that section could be better explained with regard to this matter.
On a request, types of 'vi' do not contain anything, but on a response they
contain the <versions> xml.

> *Section 3.1.5: One cause for sending 'vi' type is "The IRIS-based XML
> payload does not match a version the server supports." My gut feeling is
> that this shouldn't be dealt with at the transport level (neither XPC nor
> BEEP do that for instance!) and would drop this reason, but I don't have
> strong feelings about this.

Actually, I believe both do (though the BEEP error code may be a little
difficult to guess what it should be).

Thanks for the comments.

-andy