Re: [Crisp] Questions re current status of IRIS schemas and IRIS clients and servers

Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us> Wed, 23 January 2008 19:06 UTC

From: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
To: ctaswell@telegenetics.net
Subject: Re: [Crisp] Questions re current status of IRIS schemas and IRIS clients and servers
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:06:31 -0500
Cc: crisp@ietf.org, iris@lists.verisignlabs.com, 'David Blacka' <davidb@verisign.com>

On Jan 22, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Carl Taswell wrote:

> I would appreciate hearing word from anybody about currently supported
> active projects of any kind for the implementation of IRIS clients and
> servers.

No active projects here, though its been mentioned a couple of time
lately...  but that happens everytime somebody discovers the
shortcomings of Whois.

> 2) There appears to be a fair amount of code common to more than one
> schema
> such as the code concerning contacts in both areg.xsd and dreg.xsd.
> Was
> there an explicit reason for this structure? Has there been any
> discussion
> of refactoring the code to improve modularity so that the various
> registry
> types (areg, dreg, etc) refer to the same separate schema that
> concerns
> items such as contacts that are common to all the different registry
> types?

That was purposeful, as we didn't want to tie the developments
together from a getting an RFC published standpoint.  From an
aesthetics standpoint, I didn't like it.  But the silliness in getting
the integrated XPC & LWZ drafts published proved the point.

-andy