Re: [Crisp] Last Call Comments on common-transport-03

"Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com> Wed, 23 August 2006 18:25 UTC

Subject: Re: [Crisp] Last Call Comments on common-transport-03
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:25:28 -0400
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
To: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
Cc: Marcos Sanz/Denic <sanz@denic.de>, iesg@ietf.org, crisp@ietf.org

Remember when 3470 was written.  RelaxNG et al. were still quite new and unproven.  Even XML Schema was pretty new, but the general sentiment was that it was "better" than DTDs.  If I had to write it over again the only thing I'd be inclined to change would be adding a sentence to emphasize the "use what makes sense" point.

xml:lang: We didn't harp on that because tool support for it was mixed at the time.  I personally believe that it should be used today in new specs  instead of creating a new attribute to carry the same info, but I don't see the need to change an older spec if a "custom" attribute was used.  That's what I had to do in EPP,for example.

-Scott-