Re: minor point

"Beast (Donald E. Eastlake, 3rd)" <dee@skidrow.pa.dec.com> Mon, 28 December 1992 16:12 UTC

To: huston@ps73.ako.dec.com
Cc: kasten@ftp.com, Evaluating the Next Generation <criteria@ftp.com>
Subject: Re: minor point
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1992 11:09:51 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Beast (Donald E. Eastlake, 3rd)" <dee@skidrow.pa.dec.com>

From:  huston@ps73.ako.dec.com
>Frank,
>
>>I am not sure that this is necessary. I do not believe that everyone will
>>change to IPv7 all at once. It would be a gradual process and you would
>>apply for your IPv7 address when you want to change over.
>> > Possibly a sub-item under ease of administration or the like: as
>> > mandated in the IAB draft, any IPv7 address scheme needs to have all
>> > of the IPv4 address space embedded in it so everyone does't have to
>> > apply for new numbers all at once.
>I can't speak for Donald, but when I first read his message, it seemed
>like he was saying that a system running IPv7 needs to be able to directly
>address an IPv4 system.  Because everyone will not change to IPv7 at once,
>or maybe ever, the point you reinforced in your reply.

No, the point by the requirement in the IAB draft was primarily to reduce
the administrative burden of address assignemnt.  Maybe when there are
10**12 host in the Internet, assigning brand new IPv7 addresses to the
few millions of IPv4 hosts will be the trivial work of an afternoon.  But
early on, it would be a real hassle.  Thus the idea is that everyone who
has an IPv4 address should thereby automatically have an IPv7 address they
can safely use without administrative address re-assignment.

>I would agree with this point as well.
>
>Steve Huston
>huston@ps73.ako.dec.com
>On contract to, but not speaking for, Digital Equipment Corporation

Donald