Re: question

Frank T Solensky <solensky@andr.ub.com> Tue, 26 January 1993 20:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1993 15:44:45 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Frank T Solensky <solensky@andr.ub.com>
To: criteria@ftp.com, tli@cisco.com
Subject: Re: question

>From: Tony Li <tli@cisco.com>
>To: criteria@ftp.com
>
>Ok, I'll give it a shot: because we already have CLNP support in the
>router, I believe that adding TUBA support is much cheaper than adding
>ANY other protocol stack.  My answer might be different if we were
>starting from ground zero.

I'm working at that other end of the street right now: new product development.
IP needs to be added.  Gut feel is that the incremental cost to add SIP is
much less than what it would be to add CLNP/TUBA or PIP.

>Please note that I'm talking implementation cost to us.  Not net cost
>as seen by the customer.

An important point, of course: there's a bunch of end hosts out there that
may not be capable of sending out CLNP frames.  Saving a buck on router
deployment may mean well near zip if it costs, say, a quarter on each end
node.

>Fred writes:
>   My opinion, ever so humble, not necessarily my employer's, etc etc etc.
>
>Ditto.

Check.
			-- Frank