Re: question

Scott_Brim@cornell.edu Thu, 28 January 1993 17:21 UTC

To: ericf@atc.boeing.com, criteria@ftp.com
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Scott_Brim@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: question
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1993 12:19:06 -0500

Speaking as an end user organization (although nobody here has given me
permission to speak for Cornell on this): based on conversations I've
had here many of us believe that neither SIP nor TUBA, in their current
limited form, are the end of the current metamorphosis of the Internet.
My current guess is that we are going to do as little as possible in the
way of end system changes and use as much translation/encapsulation as
we can get away with at the border.  Both SIP/IPAE and TUBA have
transition schemes which are intended to last a long time, and my guess
is that we will stay in transition mode until the vision of the Internet
architecture stabilizes.

BTW, this should point out to the router vendors that there is more of a
market for translation/encapsulation than they thought.

								Scott