API

Eric Fleischman <ericf@atc.boeing.com> Mon, 08 February 1993 23:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1993 15:13:02 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Eric Fleischman <ericf@atc.boeing.com>
To: criteria@ftp.com
Subject: API
Cc: ericf@ftp.com

I would like to propose yet another IPvN Selection Criteria.  This
criteria is that the IPvN solutions be able to use the existing TCP/IP
Transport Layer APIs unchanged.  I suggest that each IPvN solution
should be able to run under Berkeley Sockets, TLI, the Revised XTI API,
and the eXTI (i.e., the API submitted by IBM to X/Open under the title
of "MPTN") in as transparent a fashion as possible.

My motivation for this suggestion is that APIs form a key vantage-point
by which User Applications access network services.  It is
very important that the new IPv7 solution be as transparent as possible
to the existing TCP/IP application base -- including user written
applications -- so that the migration to IPvN will be as easy as possible.
Most IPvN solutions are currently very concerned with migration ease
to traditional TCP/IP system-level applications (e.g., DNS, TELNET, FTP,
etc.) but I am only aware of the IPAE/SIP working group currently
giving attention to the needs of the APIs which primarily support user
written TCP/IP applications.  If continuing support for these de facto
APIs becomes a SELECT criteria then hopefully the vast majority of
existing user-built applications would be minimally impacted by any
of the IPvN options.

--Eric Fleischman