Re: [cso] Mailing List Sunset

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Mon, 28 November 2011 19:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 20:31:46 +0100
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: Leeyoung <leeyoung@huawei.com>, Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Cc: "cso@ietf.org" <cso@ietf.org>

Hi Leeyoung,

Many thx !

Hi Ron,

Great success of pushing very useful work out of IETF/IRTF doors.

Only because perhaps there was no charter .. not even section of IRTF
web page one should not shut down this group.

However the charter could be as simple as copy and paste a section from
one of the excellent drafts this wg produced:
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-lee-cross-stratum-optimization-datacenter-00.txt

    The IETF ALTO WG has focused on overlay optimization among peers by
    utilizing information about topological proximity and appropriate
    geographical locations of the underlay networks. With this method,
    the optimization generally occurs in selecting peer location which
    will help reduce IP traffic unnecessarily traversing IP service
    providers. Current scope of this work does not address general
    problems this document has been discussing such as the selection of
    application servers based on resource availability and usage of the
    underlying networks.

Also IMHO I think the name of this group was poorly chosen. For vast
majority of non native English speakers the name of the group was highly
cryptic .. first guess was that this is all about stratum 0 to stratum 3
clocking optimization .... booooooring.

While the reality turns out to be something really different. That this
is about cross network layer application proximity services what is one
of the hottest topics/optimization in networking today.

The actual work in this group is very needed and should be continued
within the IETF/IRTF.

I suggest to rename the group/gathering/bof to something much more
meaningful, enter it's charter on IRTF page as "tent wg" and allow folks
interested to share drafts, research and continue discuss on the mailing
list. Even if the group would not get the room in Paris as Lars said
during last meeting that is still ok.

Best regards,
R.