[Curdle] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-ext-info-12: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Thu, 14 September 2017 04:24 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-ext-info@ietf.org, Daniel Migault <daniel.migault@ericsson.com>, curdle-chairs@ietf.org, daniel.migault@ericsson.com, curdle@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:24:42 -0700
Subject: [Curdle] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-ext-info-12: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-ext-info-12: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-ext-info/

COMMENT:

Thanks for addressing my DISCUSS point. I've cleared, with the assumption the
discussed change will make it into the final document.

(I leave the non-blocking comments below for reference, although most of them
have been addressed in the email discussion.)

Substantive:

-2.3: "This message is sent immediately after SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS, without delay."
That seems to be contradicted in section 2.4, which talks about two other
potential times.

-2.4, last paragraph (asterisk note): "The message MUST be sent at this point
for the following reasons:" That's a confusing use of MUST. Do you mean that
the message MUST NOT be sent unless the reasons are true? Or that if the
reasons are true, the message MUST be sent? Or is this just a statement of
fact, in which case the 2119 keyword is not appropriate?

-2.5, 2nd paragraph: "or it MAY be sufficient that only one party includes it"
That seems like a statement of fact rather than a grant of permission. If so,
the 2119 MAY is not appropriate.

Editorial:

-2.1, first paragraph: "Applications implementing this mechanism MUST add to
the field
  "kex_algorithms", in their KEXINIT packet sent for the first key
  exchange, one of the following indicator names:"

That's hard to parse.  Suggestion:
"Applications implementing this mechanism MUST add one of the
 following indicator names to the "kex_algorithms" field for the first
 key exchange:"

-2.5, 2nd to last paragraph: "... applications MUST
  tolerate any sequence of bytes; including null bytes at any position;
  in an unknown extension’s extension-value."

Redundant to similar normative statement in 2.3.