[Curdle] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Sun, 15 September 2019 19:10 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die@ietf.org, Daniel Migault <daniel.migault@ericsson.com>, curdle-chairs@ietf.org, daniel.migault@ericsson.com, curdle@ietf.org, fredbaker.ietf@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 12:10:11 -0700
Subject: [Curdle] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-16: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-16: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die/

DISCUSS:

Be ye not alarmed -- this should be super-trivial to address, either by telling
my why I'm wrong, or fixing it -- in either case, I'll change to a YES. I'm
also fine with this being addressed in AUTH48, etc (if I'm not on the telechat,
no need to for Revised ID Needed on my behalf)

The IANA considerations section says:
-----
   The IANA is requested to update the Encryption Algorithm Name
   Registry of the Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Parameters [IANA].  The
   Registration procedure is IETF Review which is achieved by this
   document.  The registry should be updated as follows:
           +------------------------------+------------+------+
           | Encryption  Algorithm  Name  | Reference  | Note |
           +------------------------------+------------+------+
| arcfour
| arcfour128
| arcfour256
   Where TBD is the RFC number assigned to the document.

---

I think it would be vastly preferable to include a Note saying something along
the lines of: "DEPRECATED" (or "HISTORIC" like for des-cbc). Someone
implementing SSH / updating their implementation may look at the IANA page and
not read all of the links.

COMMENT:

Thank you very much for writing this -- it's important, well written, etc.
Also thanks to Fred for the OpsDir review.