Re: [Dance] some thoughts/questions from IETF113 meeting (recording)

sandoche Balakrichenan <sandoche.balakrichenan@afnic.fr> Wed, 27 July 2022 19:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:01:22 +0200
To: Shumon Huque <shuque@gmail.com>, Wes Hardaker <wjhns1@hardakers.net>
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, dance <dance@ietf.org>
From: sandoche Balakrichenan <sandoche.balakrichenan@afnic.fr>
Subject: Re: [Dance] some thoughts/questions from IETF113 meeting (recording)

On 23/05/2022 16:25, Shumon Huque wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 11:45 AM Wes Hardaker <wjhns1@hardakers.net>
> wrote:
>
>     Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca
>     <mailto:mcr%2Bietf@sandelman.ca>> writes:
>

>     Nope, you're absolutely right.  The current version (-01) is now
>     expired, however.  So to the authors: if you publish a -02 we'll start
>     the call for adoption shortly thereafter.
>

> Ash Wilson was leading the use-case document, but I think he's had a job
> change so may have less time to work on this. I'm happy to continue
> co-authoring, but I think it would be helpful to have some additional
> folks
> step up who are more familiar with the various application use cases (IoT,
> LoRAWAN, SIP, DNS etc).

==> For LoRaWAN use-case, please find the initial text below. If there
is acceptance, then I will add an  architecture diagram and update the text:

---

LoRaWAN is an asymmetric protocol with a star topology. Data transmitted
by the IoT ED (End-Device) is received by a Radio Gateway (RG), which
relays it to a Network Server (NS). The NS decides on further processing
the incoming data based on the ED’s unique identifier (DevEUI). The NS
has multiple responsibilities like forwarding the uplink from the ED to
the Application Server (AS), queuing the downlink from the AS to the ED,
forwarding the ED onboarding request to the appropriate AA
(Authentication & Authorisation) servers, named as Join Server (JS) in
LoRaWAN terminology. While the ED is connected to the RG via LoRa
modulated RF messages, the connection between the RG, the NS and the AS
is done through IP traffic and can be backhauled via Wi-Fi, hardwired
Ethernet or Cellular connection.

The backend network elements (i.e. the RG, NS, the JS and the AS)
operating in the IP space needs to do mutual authentication for the IoT
ED onboarding. For mutual authentication, commercial CA solutions are
not operationally feasible in the LoRaWAN scenario since the backend
network elements network stack doesn't have a certificate store
containing hundreds of Root CA certificates like in the web based PKIX
clients (i.e. the browsers). Even if we assume the infrastructure can de
implemented, the commercial digital certificates come at a cost, which
is not viable for most IoT services. A viable solution to resolve the
operational and cost issue is to use Self-Signed certificates.

Self-signed certificates are possible when the certificate provisioning
infrastructure generating intermediate and leaf certificates for the
servers are derived from a single root CA. This approach also fails from
an operational feasibility perspective as number of stakeholders in
LoRaWAN are not willing to be restricted to a single CA.

The two Internet drafts [DANE_Client_Certificate_Draft] and
[TLS_DANE_Client_ID_Draft] in the DANCE WG, enables the possibility to
resolve the single root CA issue. For this to work, the TLS Client and
the server should have a signed DNS TLSA record published in the DNS
zone corresponding to its DNS name and X.509 certificate or public key.

During the TLS handshake, the server requests a client certificate (via
the "Client Certificate Request" message). The server then extracts the
DANE client identity, constructs the DNS query name for the
corresponding TLSA record and authenticates the client's certificate or
public key. Thus, during mutual authentication between the backend
network elements in LoRaWAN, both the client and the server could be
mutually authenticated.

DANE-based mutual authentication enables using self-signed certificate
derived from different Root CA's to be authenticated. Thus,
organisations can choose its Root CA to sign the certificates and
validate dynamically based on DANE client identity.

----

Sandoche.