Re: [dane] draft-wouters-dane-openpgp-01 review

Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca> Tue, 07 January 2014 04:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 23:35:17 -0500
From: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>
To: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Cc: "dane@ietf.org list" <dane@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dane] draft-wouters-dane-openpgp-01 review

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

> I just reviewed the draft with an eye if it is ready to be used as reference for DNS RRYTPE template submission.
>
> The draft specifies that Presentation Format for the RRTYPE is Base64 (good)
> The draft specifies that the WIRE Format for the RRTYPE is Base64 (bad)
>
> I suggest that the draft be expanded to talk about Presentation format and Wire Format separately.

That was a very good point and unclear in the document. I've addressed
these and will submit the new version soon.

> Making this change in the draft will require that Paul needs to update his tool that he released today.

That's fine :)

> Nits and questions:
> Section 3 says: "If an an OPENPGPKEY RR contains an expired OpenPGP
>
>    public key, it MUST NOT be used for encryption."
>
> Suggest: "SHOULD" instead
>
> Section 3.1 I propose that this section be moved into Section 4, leaving only
>
> 3 and 3.2 in section 3.
>
> Section 3 then only defines the DNS RR
>
> Section 4 then deals with location of the records in zones and how to convert "email address" into
>
> DNS labels.
>
> Section 4.4 (KEY size and record size issues) is orthogonal to section 4. and should (it you keep it) become a new section
>
> on usage and operational guidance.
>
> In addition to talk about key size it should recommend that a user SHOULD only have one Active record, i.e. the key
>
> it wants others to use to use for encryption.
>
> Section 7: should become an appendix (how to generate a record)

I've made these changes, and after some more talking decided to split
this document in two. One for just the technical specification of the
DNS record, and one for the recommended usage of the DNS record.

> Question: Transitioning trust from old key to new key is not covered in this draft, should it ?

I don't think so. I cannot come up with any good "rollover advise" I
would give other than "replace the DNS record once you have a new PGP
key". Whether you lost your old PGP key or not, when you are ready for
the new PGP key, you can just remove the old one.

Paul