Re: [dane] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dane-smime-03.txt

Scott Rose <scottr.nist@gmail.com> Wed, 08 January 2014 14:58 UTC

From: Scott Rose <scottr.nist@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:58:31 -0500
To: <dane@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dane] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dane-smime-03.txt

I support this work and would like to see more discussion on the list.  Some of us have even proposed text with additions (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dane/current/msg06180.html).

Haven't seen much discussion on the list, and missed the informal DANE lunch at the last IETF.  Is there enough interest in having the SMIMEA RR?  Some of the changes we offered:

1. naming convention to help distinguish between signing and encryption key certs (for enterprises that use separate certs for encrypting and signing).  It helps reduce the size of the SMIMEA RRset a bit, but admittedly minor compared to the size of an X.509 cert.

2. a new CU value for "revoked" to indicate that this user's certificates have been revoked.

There are some signed/encrypted email projects rolling out now that are using CERT RR's or combinations of SRV RR's and LDAP servers.  Having something like SMIME would be an improvement, but the spec needs to be finalized.

Scott