Re: [dane] DANE Testing

Viktor Dukhovni <viktor1dane@dukhovni.org> Fri, 21 February 2014 21:38 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 21:38:19 +0000
From: Viktor Dukhovni <viktor1dane@dukhovni.org>
To: dane@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dane] DANE Testing

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 03:19:10PM -0500, Stephen Nightingale wrote:

> It is now possible to test from both TLSlite based and GnuTLS based
> clients.

The GnuTLS DANE implementation does not implement DANE-TA(2) or
correctly.  It may also IIRC not do PKIX-TA(0) right either.  The
issue is that the TA is incorrectly constrained to be the immediate
issuer of the leaf certificate.  There may be other problems, I
did not perform a comprehensive code review.

So results from GnuTLS DANE verification can be misleading.

> A golden, canonical CA list would be nice to find. But I guess that its
> non-universal availability is one of the problems of the CA system
> that DANE is aiming squarely at.

There is no such beast.  A form of Goedel's incompleteness theorem
applies: any list of CAs is either incomplete or untrustworthy (or
both).

> The differences between TLSlite and GnuTLS clients highlight the
> fact that there are unresolved interoperability issues among TLS
> implementations.

Default configurations of GnuTLS typically enforce unreasonable
minimum sizes on EDH primes.  Applications have to work around
these with policy overrides.

> I look forward to seeing the newly upgraded OpenSSL
> client with added DANE.  It is quite possible that as an interim step
> before its appearance I will add this DANE-in-the-App implementation
> to pyOpenSSL and/or Twisted.

Such a project should not be undertaken lightly, it is too easy to
get it wrong.

> If you find any glaring errors, I will be embarrassed but thankful.
> If you find any subtle errors I will be impressed and thankful.

A code review is required to rule out subtle errors, glaring errors
may show up in tests if the test bed is sufficiently comprehensive.

--
	Viktor.