Re: [dane] DANE for MX host via insecure MX RR?

Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com> Thu, 10 September 2015 17:52 UTC

To: dane@ietf.org
From: Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:52:34 +0200
Subject: Re: [dane] DANE for MX host via insecure MX RR?

Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 06:31:49PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
>>> If you want to propose an update that requires SMTP clients to
>>> employ DANE TLSA verification of MX hosts in signed zones even when
>>> the MX RRset was not "secure", read the previous discussion of this
>>> question in the list archives (yes, it has come up before) and make
>>> a clear-cut proposal with as solid a rationale as you can.
>>>
>>> I am not sure this can get enough support to reach "rough consensus",
>>> but I'm open to the possibility.
>>
>> Without a signed MX there's no cryptographically secured binding between the
>> recipient domain (right address part) and the public key used for TLS authc.
>>
>> So I'm strictly against this possibility and the developers of a MTA I spoke
>> with today are also strongly against this.
>>
>> @Patrik: Deploying DNSSEC/DANE at large scale is not an easy job. If you drop
>> the requirement for signed MX RRs DANE would not be worth the effort to be
>> implemented.
>
> Note, the hypothetical proposal would not weaken DANE in any way,
> nor would it "drop" the requirement to pay attention to the security
> status of the MX RRset, in particular "bogus" replies or other DNS
> errors in MX resolution would still result in deferral of mail.
>
> All that would hypothetically happen, is that even when the MX
> RRset is "insecure" (verifiably from an unsigned zone) but the
> target MX host is in a signed zone and has "secure" TLSA records,
> DANE authentication might be "SHOULD" or "MUST", rather than the
> current "MAY".
>
>     https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-19#section-2.2.1
>
>        Since the protocol in this memo is an "opportunistic security"
>        protocol ([RFC7435]) the SMTP client MAY elect to use DANE TLS (as
>        described in Section 2.2.2 below) even with MX hosts obtained via an
>        "insecure" MX RRSet.  For example, when a hosting provider has a
>        signed DNS zone and publishes TLSA records for its SMTP servers,
>        hosted domains that are not signed may still benefit from the
>        provider's TLSA records.  Deliveries via the provider's SMTP servers
>        will not be subject to active attacks when sending SMTP clients elect
>        to make use of the provider's TLSA records (active attacks that
>        tamper with the "insecure" MX RRSet are of course still possible in
>        this case).
>
> I think the current "MAY" is sufficient for now, but if that proves
> to be a valuable feature of the protocol, an a short update BCP
> RFC upgrading the "MAY" to a "SHOULD" or "MUST" might be possible
> in the future.

Hmm...I can understand why you wrote it like this. But some people are more
eager and want to push things into mandatory way. I wished DANE starts with
"MUST" from the very beginning. It's a new standard and a big invest anyway.

> So long as such sessions are not reported as secure, and are not
> accepted when DANE authentication is mandatory (e.g. Postfix
> "dane-only" TLS security level), the proposal does not in any
> way reduce the security of DANE as specified.

Postfix's "dane-only" requires successfully validated signed MX RRs?

> The main risk is with reliability.  Perhaps only those customers
> of a service provider that operate DNSSEC signed domains are willing
> to accept service availability risk in case of DANE authentication
> failure, and the customers with unsigned zones want service
> availability above all else.  If the proposal is formalized, then
> all customer domains suffer if the TLSA records are ever wrong,
> even those whose domains are unsigned.

Yes, service providers have opt-in mechs for such a distinction. And of course
they must have *different* right-hand parts in their MX RRs for both cases.

> So the proposal is not obviously damaging, just possibly premature.
> We'll know more once there is more deployment and people either
> learn (or don't learn) to operate their TLSA records correctly.

People should be prepared that some MTAs will require signed MX RRs.

Ciao, Michael.