Re: [Dart] WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Fri, 15 August 2014 05:08 UTC

From: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
To: brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 07:08:31 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: dart@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dart] WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02

Hi Brian,

standards agree on the PHB which unrecognised DSCPs should receive, which is
default forwarding. RFC2474 however proposes to transport the DSCP without
remarking:

   Packets received with an unrecognized codepoint SHOULD be forwarded
   as if they were marked for the Default behavior (see Sec. 4), and
   their codepoints should not be changed.  Such packets MUST NOT cause
   the network node to malfunction.

The MUST NOT cause malfunction clause leaves a way out and I personally
favor rewrite to default DSCP.

There has been a discussion whether a rewrite of several incoming DSCP
to a single outgoing DSCP is DiffServ compatible or not. Here we have
such a rewrite. It seems to be alright for not supported DSCPs and PHBs.

As you mention, a TCA/SLA stating treatment of all DSCPs is important
at network domain boundaries.

Regards,

Ruediger