Re: [Dart] I-D Action: draft-york-dart-dscp-rtp-00.txt

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Tue, 10 June 2014 08:19 UTC

From: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
To: david.black@emc.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:18:15 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: dart@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dart] I-D Action: draft-york-dart-dscp-rtp-00.txt

Hi David,

thanks, your team created a well written draft.

If a MediaStream is carried in a RTP session, the text may also explicitely say that
(it says MediaStreamTrack == media flow, which is carried in an individual RTP
packet stream)

Is the following correct:

UDP_5-tuple-+--transport protocol 1-----

            +--RTP session 1-----

            +--RTP session 2-----+---RTP_stream_2.1

                                 +---RTP_stream_2.2

This is impressive on first sight for a non-application expert. If the number of RTP (and other
transport) streams is high, I doubt that DiffServ is able to support more than rough
differentiation. DiffServ is designed to aggregate traffic of similar requirements. Fine grained
differentiation should be part of the application.

The question coming to my mind is, whether your team can add a statement how many AF classes are
useful to carry different RTP sessions within one UDP flow. I'd be happier to live without a hen
and egg problem (meaning app developers to wait for the transport guys to provide a set of
defined classes and transport guys waiting for app developers to demand a number of defined
classes).

Regards,

Ruediger