Re: [Dart] Commentary on draft-york-00

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Fri, 13 June 2014 08:04 UTC

From: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
To: david.black@emc.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:04:35 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: dart@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dart] Commentary on draft-york-00

Hi David,

to answer the question related to implementations and configurations at least from the viewpoint of one network provider

- you can support a multi-vendor strategy. This makes sense
  from an economical point of view, but limits
  deployments to the minimum common denominator.

- to configure a PHB, there are classifiers, policers,
  schedulers, AQM and re-markers.
  Implementations differ to some aspects (e.g. on
  supported number of classes and ingress/egress remarking).
  Limits like less than 20 PHBs may apply today.
  I'd be interested, whether there are offers of any
  complete AF class as part of a single product.

- there used to be a possibility to ignore the lower DSCP
  bits 3-6, but there's no standard to that. Some vendors
  removed this option and with IPv6, each PHB must be
  classified and completely configured individually by DSCP.
  Please be aware, if it comes to a re-write, a single DSCP
  is set for all incoming DSCPs matching this PHB. Keep in
  mind the possible restrictions on the number of PHBs.

- many IP/MPLS backbone networks and also many Ethernet
  based access networks support 3-4 PHBs for retail services.
  I'm not aware of any two providers using exactly the
  same DSCPs. I'm also not aware of any two standards using fully
  matching DSCPs for their PHBs (IETF, GSMA, MEF).

- There's something I'd call enterprise philosophy, that is
  making use of a large set of internal PHBs. I never saw
  any of these philosophies remotely resembling the other.
  PHBs or classes are used to identify products,
  access types, stream types and so on. These usually just
  consume PHBs with sometimes at best loose relation to
  standards.

If end-to-end DiffServ PHBs are what you look for, standardise what is really required and be clear on how to use it. If a network provider is expected to support these PHBs, there must be a convincing reason to do so. Take EF as an example for a well specified DiffServ standard.

Regards,

Ruediger