Re: [Dart] WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Thu, 14 August 2014 12:08 UTC

From: <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>
To: <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:08:00 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: dart@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dart] WGLC: draft-ietf-dart-dscp-rtp-02

Hi Gorry,

the following text will likely appear in the next version of my diffserv-intercon draft. The more DSCPs appear in a flow which aren't deployed end-to-end for the corresponding PHB, the more often one of the scenarios will be encountered.

The following scenarios start from a domain sending
IP traffic using a PHB and a corresponding DSCP to an interconnected
domain. The receiving domain may
-	Support the PHB and offer the same corresponding DSCP
-	Not support the PHB and use the DSCP for a different PHB
-	Not support the PHB and not use the DSCP
-	Support the PHB with a differing DSCP, and the DSCP of the
       sending domain is not used for another PHB
-	Support the PHB with a differing DSCP, and the DSCP of the
       sending domain is used for another PHB

Another question to be answered then is how a network provider will treat unrecognized or unexpected DSCPs received at network boundaries.

Regards,

Ruediger