Re: [Dart] Commentary on draft-york-00

<Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de> Mon, 16 June 2014 06:54 UTC

From: Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de
To: david.black@emc.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:54:04 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
Cc: dart@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dart] Commentary on draft-york-00

Hi David,

to make sure we mean the same thing on AF, re-marking and PHB consumption:

If a network provider just supports aggregated classes and that provider must use DSCP based classification then

Incoming AF4n -> outgoing AF4 with a cost of 1 local PHB is (for example):

Incoming DSCP 100 010 -> outgoing DSCP 100 010    PHB AF41
Incoming DSCP 100 100 -> outgoing DSCP 100 010    PHB AF41
Incoming DSCP 100 110 -> outgoing DSCP 100 010    PHB AF41

The other option, with a cost of 3 local PHBs is

Incoming DSCP 100 010 -> outgoing DSCP 100 010    PHB AF41
Incoming DSCP 100 100 -> outgoing DSCP 100 100    PHB AF42
Incoming DSCP 100 110 -> outgoing DSCP 100 110    PHB AF43

If there was an additional possibility to classify based on
DSCP bits 0-2, the second option can be configured with a cost
of 1 local PHB (results in an aggregate / single local PHB for
the provider and 3 DSCPs for an application or a device closer
to the network edge).

Regards,

Ruediger