Re: [dc] Requirement for a method to manage mac address in DC

"Pat Thaler" <pthaler@broadcom.com> Fri, 03 February 2012 18:52 UTC

From: Pat Thaler <pthaler@broadcom.com>
To: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:51:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.9.244.118]
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "dc@ietf.org" <dc@ietf.org>, yu jinghai <yu.jinghai@zte.com.cn>, Truman Boyes <tboyes@gmail.com>, Lizhong Jin <lizho.jin@gmail.com>, Mallik Mahalingam <mallik@vmware.com>
Subject: Re: [dc] Requirement for a method to manage mac address in DC

Donald,

Everything has to be somewhere. By your argument, TRILL bridges aren't layer 3 devices either because they aren't peering with the routers in your slides. They are below layer 3 - not working in the layer 3 addressing domain so they are in layer 2. It is just that layer 2 has some sublayers of peered devices. Long before TRILL and PBB, there were Ethernet repeaters which were also layer 2 devices and didn't peer with switches. Provider bridges, provider backbone bridges and TRILL all work at different sublayers in layer 2.

I also don't see how that matters to the content of this discussion. Whether one considers TRILL bridges to be at some new layer 2.5 or not or even at layer 3 doesn't matter to the point that they provide isolation between the address spaces of tenants.  That isolation only applies if any traffic between those tenants goes through a layer 3 devices that removes the original MAC addresses from the frame.

Regards,
Pat