AW: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]

"Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com> Mon, 13 March 2006 11:06 UTC

Subject: AW: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:01:23 +0100
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>
To: Olivier Dugeon <Olivier.Dugeon@rd.francetelecom.com>
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org, Michel Diaz <Michel.Diaz@laas.fr>

Hi Olivier,

Hello Hannes,

Thanks to your pointer.

I remember at the beginning of NSIS WG the great debate about on-path vs. off-path. The conclusion have been to choose to study only on-path within NSIS. In parallel, a BoF was setup to attempt to create an off-path WG. Unfortunately this was cancel too.

NSIS was always chartered with a focus on path-coupled signaling in mind.
Still, there was a lot of interest on transition scenarios that require some path-decoupled processing. In some sense, this is almost a philosophical discussion.

For example, is RFC 2749 (about COPS and RSVP interaction) off-path/path-decoupled signaling? What about RFC 3084?

Unfortunately, the term "off-path" is a little bit overloaded and means different things to different people (like the term 'NGN' is heavily overloaded as well). This caused a lot of confusion. If there is confusion then it is, in general, quite good to think about it a little bit longer.
That's what we did.

So, I'm surprise and the same time happy to see that NSIS will again start studying off-path or try to attempt a BoF.

Don't be surprised. These aspects have been topic for many, many discussions in the past.

In my opinion, DCPEL and off-path NSIS have more or less the same objective looking at 2 different approaches. Perhaps a good deal will to merge the 2 initiatives to form a larger and greater consensus.

Why do you think that they look at two different approaches?

In the same time, some ideas from EuQoS project (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cordeiro-nsis-hypath-00.txt <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cordeiro-nsis-hypath-00.txt> ) have been submit to the NSIS WG about a such approach (in fact, we used NSIS for our Resource Manager communication).

We have been in contact with the authors based on the NSIS interim meeting in May 2005 and the interop in Paris a few months later.
It is very interesting to see this type of input.

Ciao
Hannes

Regards,

Olivier

Tschofenig, Hannes a écrit :

		Hi Olivier,
		Hi David,

		I agree with David that there is essentially a lot of protocol work (hopefully "only" extensions) that seems to be envisioned by DCPEL. A few weeks ago Georgios has sent a mail asking for the relationship between the IETF work and other QoS work that is currently being done outside the IETF. There are many proposals being made today that need to be considered. These organizations are, for various reasons, really crazy about QoS and QoS signaling. As I noted at the last IETF meeting I think that the best place for these discussions is the Transport Area where this type of protocol discussions already happened in the past.

		The IETF NSIS work has discussed various aspects of path-decoupled signaling approaches in the past and there are still proposals floating around. You might be interesting to see that there will be a discussion about this subject at the next IETF meeting. See http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nsis/current/msg06007.html It might be interesting for you to attend the NSIS WG session to share your thoughts with other QoS minded people. Furthermore, a number of us have been in contact with the ITU-T (and the ITU-T liaison person from the ITU-T side, Hui-Lan Lu, in particular), including John Loughney and myself, to discuss how their requirements can be brought to the IETF/NSIS working group to have a fruitful discussion.

		Ciao
		Hannes

			Hello David,

			Here it is some comments from an operator (ok R&D part only)  !!!

			David Kessens a écrit :

				Kathie asked me whether I would be willing to share the

			following mail

				with the group on my current thinking regarding a bof for dcepl.

				I obviously have no problem with that so please see below

			for my mail

				to Kathie regarding this topic. I, and the other ADs CC'ed on this
				mail, are interested in your comments.

				I hope this helps,

				David Kessens
				---