RE: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Mon, 13 March 2006 13:49 UTC

Subject: RE: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:37:33 -0000
From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com>, dcpel@ietf.org
Cc: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>

Paulo, Kathie,

specifically on the protocols question, it strikes me that there are two issues here:

1) in defining the scope of a proposed WG, it seems that it would be necessary to pin down more precisely the scope of any protocol work before the WG can be formed. (Is this a correct interpretation of the AD comments?) Is this going to be impossible? In the case of NSIS, the WG was *initially* chartered *only* to answer the question of what needed to be done compared to existing protocols and not do any new protocol work; maybe the same approach would work here.

2) with respect to the specific question of the inter-domain protocol, I think there would have to be really good arguments to justify anything beyond extensions to existing protocols, and so far I've not seen anything that would require any extensions at all for the case where the flows/aggregates follow well defined network paths. (This may or may not be the full scope of DCPEL. If the aggregate path is not well defined then the signalling problem becomes harder and more work may be needed.)

r.