RE: [Dcpel] some comments on draft-vandenberghe-dcpel-basics-00.txt

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Mon, 06 March 2006 09:24 UTC

Subject: RE: [Dcpel] some comments on draft-vandenberghe-dcpel-basics-00.txt
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:24:40 -0000
From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com>
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org

hi,

> Hi Robert,
>
> to add something to Kathie's e-mail, here is an extract of
> your e-mail:
>

> Kathleen Nichols wrote:

> >> 4. SIP interactions
> >

> > The quick response is that we didn't plan to change SIP or 3312 but
> > to use that as a guideline for our framework, that is, our framework
> > should have a way to interoperate in the 3312 sense. It was
> suggested
> > as a starting point (and maybe sufficient) for application
> > interaction.
>
> [Paulo] It is also my opinion that 3312 can provide some guideline on
> the interaction between applications and network, in both ends of a
> communication session. However, IMO it is not clear the
> interaction of
> the SIP signaling and the DiffServ inter-domain interactions.
> In 3312,
> it is proposed to configure network resources e2e by means of
> a protocol
> like RSVP, being the RSVP signaling triggered by end-hosts at
> both ends
> of the communication session. In this context, 3312 approach
> may be an
> option to trigger the configuration of the necessary PDBs in all
> DiffServ domains between the involved end-hosts. However, the most
> suitable mechanism to configure PDBs in a set of DiffServ
> domains should
> be analyzed within DCPEL.

All of this is true. However, it doesn't explain why 3312 would be
relevant to DCPEL, unless I've fundamentally misunderstood the
scope of DCPEL.
To put is more concretely, 3312 (as far as I understand) assumes
the existence of a resource request mechanism initiated by the end
point, and explains how end systems should manage the resource
transaction and session signalling transaction. But the resource
management mechanism (RSVP, NSIS or whatever) doesn't care that
3312 is being used - is DCPEL any different?
To put it another way, 3312 is about extending SDP with additional
information. Is it in the scope of DCPEL to take part in the SDP
negotiation?

r.