Re: [Dcpel] questions related to DCPEL scope

Kathleen Nichols <nichols@pollere.com> Thu, 23 February 2006 21:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:47:13 -0800
From: Kathleen Nichols <nichols@pollere.com>
To: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>
Subject: Re: [Dcpel] questions related to DCPEL scope
Cc: "dcpel@ietf.org" <dcpel@ietf.org>

Trimmed to reply (in-line) to your comments:

Georgios Karagiannis wrote:

[G]>>> Could you specify what do you mean by a distributed Difsserv control
>>> plane approach? Will this distributed approach impact an individual
>>> Diffserv router, e.g., a Diffserv core router?
[K]>> I'm just giving a short answer here. A distributed DiffServ control
>> plane is one where the control plane actions do not reside in
>> one physical location and probably not in one logical location.
>> We would expect an impact on DiffServ edge routers, but probably
>> not DiffServ core routers.
>
> Georgios: But I suppose that this will of depend on the specified PDBs.
> What if a PDB requires a control plane support for a core Diffserv router?

If by core Diffserv router you mean a diffserv router interior to a
domain, one would not normally expect the need for control of
classifiers and policers, but just configuration of the PHBs as
realized by queues and their scheduler, as described in RFC 2475
and other diffserv documents. However, this doesn't preclude an
operator from using the diffserv "edge" functions interior to a
network if desired.

> Georgios: Maybe it is very useful to perform an extensive state of the
> art study on the area of centralized control plane architectures that
> are developed in ITU-t, ETSI-tispan, DSL, packetcable, 3gpp, 3gpp2,
> ipshere, wimax. The outcome of this state of the art study could then
> help to define
> the final charter of the DCPEL BOF/WG.

Do you believe that the work of these groups obviates an IETF DCPEL WG?

	regards,
		Kathie