Re: [Dcpel] DCPEL BoF support

Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com> Fri, 03 March 2006 13:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:49:14 +0100
From: Paulo Mendes <mendes@docomolab-euro.com>
To: Olivier Dugeon <Olivier.Dugeon@rd.francetelecom.com>
Subject: Re: [Dcpel] DCPEL BoF support
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org

Hi Olivier,

see my comments inline.

Olivier Dugeon wrote:

> Hello Kathleen and all,
>
> We are in favor of a such BoF. Again, I'll ask my colleagues whom
> attend the next IETF meeting to be present during the DCPEL BoF
> session regarding their respective constraint to follow their
> respective WG.
>
> Concerning the charter, I just want to know if the points described
> below could be present:
>
> - Study and define a global framework and architecture which take into
> account the inter-domain control plane and not only the intra-domain

[Paulo] The definition of a overall architecture is already scheduled in
the current proposed charter. And the current version of the DCPEL
requirements I-D, already mention the the Diffserv control plane, should
consider the inter-domain relationship besides the intra-domain control.
The creation of an I-D on interworking between DiffServ domains is also
planned in the charter proposal.

> - Produce RFC about the end to end CoS definition i.e. by extending
> the notion of Per Domain Behavior to the inter domain. The draft about
> Meta-CoS class from Pierre Levis could be a starting point

[Paulo] The e2e definition of CoS should be discussed. IMO, it is most
helpful if we keep the intra-domain mechanisms and PDBs transparent to
the inter-domain operations, and so e2e. So, I would say that the
definition of e2e CoS is related to the use of the inter-domain service
information model, and not the to PDBs to be used within a network. The
relationship between PDBs and services (SLSs) is something to be worked
out within DCPEL.

> - Produce RFC which define both data and interface to request CoS to
> the DCPEL framework from and application i.e. SLS definition in term
> of parameters, function and transport prootocol

[Paulo] The first issue of an I-D on DCP  service information model is
schedule for November 2006, while the interworking of a DCP network with
external mechanisms will be analyzed in the framework I-D.

> - Produce RFC on topology acquisition to let the Control Plane in
> touch (synchronize) with the Transfert Plane

[Paulo] This is a topic related to a centralized control plane. Since
the DCPEL requirements I-D mention the possible centralized and
distributed control of PDBs, and assuming that this proposal will be
accepted, I'm expecting some I-D proposals for DCP centralized
mechanisms and distributed mechanisms (December 2006 in the current
charter proposal). It is up to the authors of the centralized proposals
to refer to describe mechanisms for the acquisition of topology information.

> - Produce RFC on which protocol will fit requirement to exchange
> inter-DCPEL SLS i.e. looking how NSIS could fit or be extended to this
> purpose.

[Paulo] This is contemplated in the I-D on interworking between DiffServ
domain (scheduled March 2007 in the current charter). It is expectable
that we'll be able to discuss different approaches to allow the
interworking of DiffServ domains, based for instance on NSIS, SIP, or
other protocol model.

> - Produce RFC on which protocol will fit requirement to enforce QoS in
> the underlying network i.e lookink to COPS and NetConf to see how it
> could be used

[Paulo] This is also mostly specific to centralized control approaches.

Cheers
Paulo