Re: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Thu, 09 March 2006 17:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:40:55 -0600
To: Kathleen Nichols <nichols@pollere.com>, "Tschofenig, Hannes" <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>, dcpel@ietf.org
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: AW: [Dcpel] FWD: [Re: proposed charter]

Kathie

Long ago the IESG made the decision in the SIP community to break that WG
up into two parts: SIP and SIPPING.  SIPPING handles the requirements and
the "how to use SIP" aspects, and SIP focuses on the core specification and
extending the protocol.

The reason I bring up that analogy is that what I read from you below is
saying that you aren't particularly interested, not cavalierly, but for a
reason, in how your "control" is sent around the Internet.  You're working
on what to do with whatever control there can be when it gets to the
destination elements.  Is this about right?

If so, taking the SIP example, you're looking at more of a "how to use
*Diffserv* to elicit a level of control of traffic behaviors traversing
elements in a domain" - which to me, is a BCP of what exists already.

If you do not have the necessary pieces or parts to write this BCP of how
to do something regarding control and mgmt of QoS within a domain or
interdomain, then the appropriate protocols need to be extended in order to
get you (said in general terms) the tools to write an appropriate BCP.

This seems like it can be accomplished in one of two ways:

#1 - individual submissions into each protocol WG that will enable the
functionality you seek

or

#2 - create a WG designed to extend, within that new WG, each protocol that
will enable the functionality you seek.

Then, after all this is done, this BCP (or two) can be written.

Perhaps one for Intra-domain control and mgmt, and one for Inter-domain.

I think the endgame of this list is these two documents, the first of which
you agreed to tackle, and the latter is what a few others on the list want
to tackle right away too.

I believe there are more than a few out there that believe what you
(speaking generally) need is a hub-and-spoke communication protocol to
carry your control, which may or may not exist yet; but if it does, it
certainly needs extending, which ought to occur first.