[Dcpel] DCPEL BoF support from Telefonica I+D

Jorge Andrés Colás <jorgeac@tid.es> Mon, 13 March 2006 17:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:55:46 +0100
From: Jorge Andrés Colás <jorgeac@tid.es>
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org
Subject: [Dcpel] DCPEL BoF support from Telefonica I+D

Hello Kathleen, Paulo, all,

I would like to express our support from Telefonica I+D (advanced
networks department) to the BoF session regarding DCPEL and to the
creation of a WG to work around these concepts.

 From our perspective, the coordination among control planes belonging
to different operators is a key point in order to deploy end-to-end
services with QoS differentiation, that is, across operator network
domains. And there is a lack of suitable solutions in the current
Internet architecture in this field.

As some of you have commented, one main requirement from an operator
perspective is to avoid to expose the network internals to external
actors for security reasons. In this sense, it is hard for an operator
to allow a distributed configuration of its network infrastructure by
means of signalling messages coming form other networks/operators.
Therefore, a different approach, probably based on devices negotiating
inter-domain agreements and then configuring their internals to apply
the negotiated inter-domain agreements, would be more suitable.

In addition, this kind of approach provides flexibility for domains to
use different mechanisms to provide differentiated QoS internally. This
means not only non-DiffServ solutions, but also different ways to
use/configure DiffServ mechanisms.

As some of you also commented, there are different fora (e.g. ITU-T,
3GPP, ETSI-TISPAN, IPSphere) that are defining architectures with a
similar overall view in mind, but this must be seen as an opportunity
for the IETF to align their views with common protocols and mechanisms
that these fora are not going to specify. In fact, they look at the IETF
for protocols to be used/adapted to implement their architectures...

Among the topics to cover, I see of special need/interest the
standardisation of a common service information model to have a common
language for inter-domain negotiation, and also the analysis of current
signalling protocols to find a solution for the inter-domain signalling
among different control plane managers. From my work on european
research projects, the Ambient Networks and EuQoS projects have made an
interesting work on these topics, so they should be considered as
existing work for the WG.

Best regards,
Jorge

--