[Dcpel] some comments on draft-mendes-dcpel-requirements-00.txt

"Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk> Tue, 07 March 2006 15:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 15:19:38 -0000
From: "Hancock, Robert" <robert.hancock@roke.co.uk>
To: <dcpel@ietf.org>
Subject: [Dcpel] some comments on draft-mendes-dcpel-requirements-00.txt

hi,

i've also been reading draft-mendes-dcpel-requirements-00, and
have some questions on that draft. (interestingly, not as many
as on the basics draft. maybe that's because everything i don't
understand is already covered in the basics draft.)

*) are the inter-domain aspects of the solution required to be
diffserv-independent? some parts of the requirements suggest
yes (last-but-one on page 5) whereas others seem more diffserv
specific (3rd one on page 7).

*) (1st & 3rd in section 5.3): the claims for the benefits of
XML seem slightly out of place in a requirements proposal.

*) there seem to be several different levels of 'state' information
governing an inter-domain relationship. we have policies,
agreements (is this a synonym for SLA?), SLSs (some people use
this as a term for a part of an SLA, is that the implication here?),
and at the end of 5.3 there is the concept of activating an
agreement (so as well as just existing or not, an agreement can
have some kind of dynamic status). is this hierarchy fixed or can
there be arbitrary levels of it? is all of it in scope for the DCPEL
inter-domain definition, or are (for example) the policies considered
a purely out-of-band/upper-layer issue?

*) (1st & 2nd in section 5.4): the assumption of a fixed/well-known
address (even if it's for a virtual entity) seems over restrictive
in a requirements document. It's a possible solution, but not the
only one. (If it's a must, then it's reasonable to ask by what
mechanism the address becomes well known in the first place.)

cheers,

robert h.